Sunday, December 2, 2012

Birding at Lilydale Lake Wetland

On a hot spring evening I stopped at Lilydale Lake Wetland for a short bird walk.


I was delighted to discover a Buff-banded Rail


Buff-banded Rail
Gallirallus philippensis
© Barbara Oehring 2012




and very surprised to find a Pink-eared Duck - a single bird (drake) on a post with a nesting box.


Pink-eared Duck
Malacorhynchus membranaceus
© Barbara Oehring 2012



 Next was a Great Cormorant,

Great Cormorant
Phalacrocorax carbo
© Barbara Oehring 2012 

a male Superb Fairy-wren



Superb Fairy-wren
Malurus cyaneus
© Barbara Oehring 2012


and at the end of my walk I saw a pair of Purple Swamphen bathing.


Purple Swamphen
Porphyrio porphyrio
© Barbara Oehring 2012

 

2 comments:

  1. Well done Barbara. I've walked there a few times and have seen a Buff Banded Rail once. I have not seen the pink eared duck before and the others I've seen regularly.

    ReplyDelete